- To read a wide variety of books chosen by members, including fiction, classics, biographies and factual books
- To meet once a month to discuss and review the book we have read, facilitated by the person who chose the book
- To broaden our appreciation of different styles of writing and different genres of books
- To meet in a social setting so we can have good conversation
- To organise occasional visits to local literary events in line with member’s interests
- To encourage discussion and enjoy sharing our views with each other
Group Convenor Needed!
Chalfonts U3A are committed to helping our members find groups they want to join. When a group has only a limited number of places, we then need to start a new group. So, if you want to help start a third Book Club then please contact the Group Coordinator to register your interest.
Book Clubs usually meet monthly and the members decide which day and time.
Most meetings take place in members’ homes. Members are notified of the venue and dates and times of meetings in advance.
Anyone interested in reading and discussing books is welcome. Our purpose is to have an enjoyable discussion and share our views, insights and thoughts about the different books we have read.
We are not a “high brow” literary group but nor are the book choices “Mills and Boon”! Over the course of a year we will read some popular literature, some prize winners, some factual books, autobiographies and a classic.
Members of the group are expected to engage by choosing, reading and joining in discussion of the books. We have excellent attendance at our meetings.